Sunday, December 30, 2007

Went for another ride!

The temp hit 49 so off I went! I put on some thermals and some leather and then I pulled the cover off of the bike. I stayed in town but had a really nice ride. The rain we received this week did a really nice job of cleaning the sand off of the roads. I cruised by my folks old place and then went around the lakes.

We received a bit of bad news this weekend. I've been coaching youth sports for roughly 12 years. During that time I've worked with a lot of kids including my own. There's one young lady who has been very special to me. She came to me as a "special needs" child my first year coaching girls softball with my daughter. I had met her through the schools and she had opened up to me the first time she'd met me which I guess was very rare at the time. She was attending a school designed to work with kids in her position. Well, this young lady turned out to be one of the top players in our league and she fell in love with the game.

From that point forward, her folks insisted she play for me as she responded well to my coaching style. Her success in softball really seems to have helped her make some adjustments in her life. This young lady is roughly 12-13 now and I had the chance to coach her for 5 years. The only thing special about her these days is her softball skills and the place she holds in my heart.

Her father passed away on Christmas Eve at the age of 43. I got to know he and his wife pretty well during those 5 years. They are really good people and they always put their children first which I respect a great deal. This fellow was 43 years old and has left behind two beautiful daughters and his wife. What a shame to have passed so young.

During my ride yesterday I passed their house. I though about stopped but simply passed. I ended up turning around and heading back to let the family know my wife and I were thinking of them. I only got to see the two girls and the oldest was really having a tough time. I wish there was a way to remove this child's pain!

Anyway, sorry to get depressing but I wanted to share this with everyone. Please keep this family in your prayers, I'm sure they'll need it...

Ride safe!

Ian

2 comments:

Ian Creswell said...

We will be doing to very loosely organized rides this coming season. When we do, we may ask for donations which will go towards helping this family... We'll keep you posted!

Ian Creswell said...

Check out www.coolbikerides.com for more information on the ladies ride in the spring. We will be collecting donations for the trust for the girls on this ride. I hope all you lady riders can make this one...