Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ian's personal note...

All right, this one's not bike related but I figure if I make this a public proclamation, perhaps I'll see it through.

I had an old friend who found me on Facebook post some photos from High School. Now I'm estimating this was sophomore year. The primary shot was focused tow young ladies behind me, I'm sitting in the front of the shot listening to my walkman. You remember those right? You actually had to put a cassette in it to hear misc? You got maybe 5 songs per side and kept flipping it over? You were required to pack a bag just for your music? I think you probably get the idea.

Well there I am, sitting there listening to my music, wearing my HD shirt (OK, a little motorcycle talk), eyes closed, enjoying the bus trip to Virginia I believe. The first thing I noticed was I HAD A NECK! Of course my son noticed the mullett first... The second was how broad I was in the shoulders at the same time I HAD A NECK!

You see, I started to lift weights during the summer between 8th and 9th grade. My friend Ron Hebert and I begain lifting together in his basement. His dad even brought us into Springfield to the old Central City Gym a few times. I'll never forget the first time I walked in. The odor, the huge people everywhere... For those over 35, you may even remember his dad. He was the Incredible Ice Man. You know, the guy who used to bust massive blocks of ice with his head? He also used to stack them up on his chest and have them busted with a sledge hammer...

Well I discovered something that summer. I had this uncanny ability to bulk up quickly. I put nearly two inches of muscle mass on my arms in about 8 months. I still have the remenants of my stretch marks to prove it. Over the next couple of years, I spent nearly any free time I had lifting weights. I was a tank and I was a powerhouse.

Fast forward a few years. I discovered Chinese food, beer and girls all around the time I was in and out of casts. I'd broken my ankle and it just didn't want to heal properly. I continued to work out for a while, but found I didn't have the time or desire I once did. Well, I soon discovered that the same metabolizim that allows me to put on muscle mass quickly also allows me to fatten up pretty fast. I put on some weight. It wasn't terrible, but just enough pudge that the doctors wouldn't harrass me too much.

Well time passed and I got into the software industry. No more running around all day long, instead, I spend my days in front of a computer. I also maintained my eating habits at the same time. Needless to say, the body decided to spread out some more.

Seeing this picture, right after dealing with some pictures that were taken this last weekend at the Winter Bash, I'm left to contemplate my current condition. I DON'T LIKE IT!

Here's my goal; I'm going to get into shape this year. Preferably something other than round. I figure my wife tolerates me at this weight but she shouldn't have to. Additionally, I'm going to end up killing myself with a heart attack or something. I'm going to keep this picture visible and though I probably won't see that exact shape again, it will serve as a target, a reminder of what once was and what can be again.

If you see me out and about this year, and see me heaping a plate full of goodies at one of the biker parties this year, just remind me of my picture. Perhaps I'll even have it with me.

No comments: