Monday, January 26, 2009

Biking Problem...


I was accused of having a biking problem this weekend. This was a direct comment to a post from a friend of mine. Now I know he was joking but I guess he's right. If truth be told, I suppose I'm addicted.

Riding is one of the most relaxing things I do. After a long day of work, I can think of no better way to unwind than by putting a few miles on the bike. Why does it relax me, clear my head? Well, the steady drone of the engine just has a soothing effect on me. Objects flying by at a high rate of speed is equally relaxing. The need for total focus on everything I do, everything going on around me, results in removing all other thoughts from my mind. In the end, I'm at peace with myself.

Do you have a riding problem? If you're in a cold weather climate, do you spend the Winter wishing you could just jump on your bike and go out for a few hours? I do, and have been craving the time on the road.

I try not to miss a warm day in the Winter. Now warm is a relative term, and a moving target depending on the time of the year. December through March, 42 degrees is enough for me. I'm often asked "What about the salt and sand? Aren't you worried about them ruining the bike?" Well, no, I'm not too worried about it. As I recently told a friend, that's why God made water, so I could wash my bike off after a Winter ride. I bought the bike to ride it, not to look pretty. That it looks pretty is just a bonus.

All right, enough rambling, I'm just missing my riding time...

Ian

No comments: